... From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The term junior
college refers to different educational institutions in different countries.India
In India, most states provide schooling through grade 12. Maharashtra and Karnataka however, have a system of junior colleges. After taking the 10th grade board exams (SSLC), school students have to apply for 11th grade (PUC) at a junior college. Junior colleges are located in Degree colleges. Some of the famous junior colleges of Mumbai include K.C. College, Jai Hind College, Ruparel College and Ramnarain Ruia College. Some of the famous junior colleges of Bangalore include Christ College, St. Joseph's College, Vijaya College and Sri Bhagawan Mahaveer Jain College.United States
In the United States, a junior college (informally, a juco) is a two-year post-secondary school whose main purpose is to provide academic, vocational and professional education. The highest certificate offered by such schools is usually an associate's degree, although many junior college students continue their education at a university or college, transferring some or all of the credit earned at the junior college toward the degree requirements of the four-year school.
Junior colleges originated in the Chautauqua movement in late 19th century New York State. Around the turn of the century, groups from established colleges and universities would travel around the nation, visiting small towns that did not have access to upper-level schools, offering eight to ten-week courses on subjects such as the arts, science and literature.
The term junior college has historically referred to all non-bachelor's degree granting post-secondary schools, but over the last few decades many public junior colleges, which typically aim to serve a local community, have replaced "junior" with "community" in their names. This may give the impression that a junior college must be a private school, but only a small percentage of two-year institutions are private, many public community colleges continue to be called "junior college", and the two terms are used interchangeably in casual speech.
- Alabama Southern Community College - Located in Monroeville, AL.
- Arizona Western College - Provides overview of college system with academic calendar, admissions information, and photo archives.
- Beaufort County Community College - General information, admissions, financial aid, career center, student services, programs of study, learning resources center, electronic distance learning, continuing education, news and events. Located in Washington, NC.
- Blue Ridge Community College - Features academics, distance learning, continuing education, student services, news, and application. Located in Flat Rock, NC.
- Eastern Idaho Technical College - Located in Idaho Falls, Idaho, EITC provides a post-secondary vocational-technical education for students who plan to enter full-time employment after completing a one- or two-year curriculum.
- Eastern West Virginia Community and Technical College - Located in Moorefield, West Virginia. Serves the educational needs in the counties of Grant, Hampshire, Hardy, Mineral, Pendleton, and Tucker.
- Edison State Community College - Located in Piqua, OH - The Darke County Campus is the local attendance center for Edison. Courses offered at the Darke County Campus are designed to meet general education requirements for both technical and transfer programs.
- Hawaii Community College - Information, admissions, college publications, academic resources, student services, community resources and links. Located in Hilo, HI.
- Illinois Central College - Located in East Peoria, IL. Academic departments, scholarships, library, faculty and staff, registration information, enrollment services, student information, online schedule.
- Lebanon College - School offering associate degrees in art, business, and computers; and certificates in creative writing, education, foreign language, accounting, computers, and office skills
- Los Angeles City College - Academic departments, on-line learning, student activities and services, information resources, admissions and records, faculty and staff, community services courses.
- Sage College of Albany - Academic programs, student life, admissions, financial aid, libraries, technology, career development, news.
- Spartanburg Community College - Admissions, registration/student records, library, programs, student information and resources, campus life, financial matters, job openings, continuing education, directory, department pages, alumni.
- Virginia Western Community College - Admissions and student information, departments, distance learning, news and events, facilities, resources. Located in Roanoke, VA.
- Wilkes Community College - Features history, faculty and staff, campus tour, college catalog, academics and distance learning. Campuses in Wilkes, Ashe, and Alleghany counties.
Additional Pages in - | | |